Volunteer for the Montana Folk Festival
We need 700 or more volunteers to work with festival staff and technicians to pull together an event that will bring Butte and the region immeasurable rewards.
All Montana Folk Festival volunteers gain great memories and more than a few pleasant surprises from getting involved. At the end of the day, volunteers will go home with a free T-shirt, commemorative pin, and the undying gratitude of the festival organizers.
Shifts are an average of four hours for each volunteer and many volunteers sign up for two or three shifts throughout the festival.
To volunteer to help ensure that the Montana Folk Festival is a success, and have fun at the same time, sign up online at one of these links.
Here are some volunteer opportunities available at the Montana Folk Festival (we have rated them from 1 to 10 based on how physically demanding the tasks are 1 being the easiest and 10 the most strenuous):
These jobs are less physically demanding than others - many can be done sitting down.
- Performer Check-in (2) - An offsite job meeting and greeting the performers as they arrive at the host hotel. Requires organizing and preparation for guests. Not much standing and you will answer questions, count CDs and chat with some very interesting people!
- Volunteer Registration (2) - Meet all the volunteers as they come on duty - let them know where they are going and be in the know of all the latest changes. You will work at the host hotel, the Hotel Finlen.
- Office Volunteers (2) - Help with tasks related to getting everyone's papers in order.
- Chauffers (2) - Operate one of about a dozen golf carts on the Festival site. You will be trasnporting seniors, staff. performers and some really tired folks.
- Craft Marketplace (4) - Volunteers will help set up, resupply and offer breaks to the artists so they too can take breaks. Get a great opportunity to see all the cool stuff before anyone else does!
These jobs require a lot of walking or long periods of standing.
- Food Court (5) - Help support the food vendors in the food courts to ensure that they have what they need to keep the crowds well fed.
- Beer/Wine Ticket Sales (6) - Must be at least 21 years of age and you will be checking ID's as you sell tickets to the beer gardens. Standing on your feet and lots of folks to meet should be fast paced and you do also need the ability to make correct change.
- Beer/Wine Servers (6) -- Must be at least 21 years of age, able to stand and move quickly for the entire shift and enjoy serving the public.
- Site Management (6) - Lend a hand in the stage areas. Lots of standing and walking while you keep an eye out for helping with seating, crowd control, lost kids, garbage, safety problems and about anything else that needs help. Need to be a self-starter and able to make decisions on your own.
- Garbage Patrol (6) - Help pick up fter the crowds and make sure the site is kept clean and healthy for our guests.
- Traffic Control (7) - lots of walking and standing. Work at blocked off streets ensuring no entry to unauthorized vehicles and help assist vendors and VIPs in designated parking areas.
- Music Sales (5) - Standing and some sitting involved - fast paced. Help sell performer CDs in the CD sales tents to folks wanting to take a bit of the festival home with them.
- Backstage Hospitality (4) - Some standing and some sitting involved. Work close to the performers and help stage managers with any need they have. A close-to-the-action job!
- Backstage Assistants (6) -- Helpers for Backstage Hospitality, making sure that the stage is ready for the next musci set, straightening chairs and cleaning up after each show. Ages 10 and older.
- Information Booth (3) - For those who like to talk and help folks out. Work in one of three information booths and answer questions about the festival, Butte and surrounding communities and attractions, directions and what is happening during the festival and beyond.
- Beverage/Ice Delivery (6)- Help get ice and pop where its needed and slake the thirsts of performers and the audience.
- Bus Guides (6) - Help get visitors "orientated" as they approach or leave the festival site. Answer questions about the festival on the shuttles.
- Montana Folk Life Area (5) - Work closely with some of the nation's finest artisans. Help out the cultural demonstrators at the folk arts stage and get a close look at what others can only watch from afar.
- Family Area (6) - On your feet a lot. Help direct kids with art projects. This is a chance to contribute while playing games, being silly, and having fun with kids.
These jobs require some muscle!
- Site Set-Up (9) - Lots of physical labor - standing, carrying and more. Help make the festival site appear and relax once the music starts.
- Site Tear Down (9) - Lots of physical labor - standing, carrying and more. Help take apart the stages and put away the gear until next year.Lots of assistance will be needed for take down and clean up!
To volunteer for any of these tasks, sign up today.